The 30 Most Important Seconds Of My Life

I was nervous for the video call. But he kept insisting for it. At last, I made up my mind, what's wrong in just showing my face in a video call? I convinced myself.


My 12th grade exams were done, and my birthday was coming next month. I was so excited that my dad had promised me my first phone after the exams. So I was waiting for the expected surprise.

It had just been 2 days I got my phone. All my friends had been added on WhatsApp. My new Instagram account was live, but decided that I'll never post anything, I just wanted to stalk others. I also updated my old Facebook account that I'd created using my mom's phone with all my relatives on Facebook. Actually this feature was really cool. My father, mother, brother and cousins, we can tag them as family.

Last day, my friend had told be about Blendr, an online dating app that she used. I'll never in my life use such online dating stupid stuff.

Woah, why am I getting so many swipe rights even without uploading my own photos? Are boys in Blendr this desperate to make friends? Are boys so lonely?

Steve, he looked cute and I decided to swipe him right. And I was so lucky that it was a match. Most unexpectedly, he directly gave me his WhatsApp number. Ah, what's wrong in giving him my WhatsApp number, right? Anyway, he's not going to hack into my phone and read my other WhatsApp messages.

His Instagram profile looked cute. He seemed to be busy, so I sent him a hi on WhatsApp. And as expected again, there was no reply, he must be a really busy guy. I decided to not send any more messages.

After a day, again unexpectedly a reply came by with apologies. I just love apologies for no reason. It felt so cute and so kind of him. I started to chat with him. He said he's really busy to text and asked me to come over call. I said a strict NO. Because, um, because why? I don't know. Maybe because I thought calling a boy over phone was so wrong a thing to do.

It's been over half an hour on phone with him. He seems to be the perfect guy, but a little busy. I became so comfortable with him that I insisted to turn his video ON. He was so chill and turned it ON. I suddenly covered my camera because I accepted his video call request. I could see him, so cute. He was working on something in his laptop and told me that he'll call me later tonight.

On the same day it was past 12 o'clock and my parents had slept. I turned ON my phone back and texted him and hoped that he'd still be online. He straight away replied to me. Again so nice of him. I felt like I was falling for him. It all felt so nice and he felt so trustworthy. While I was looking at him, it was a video call with my camera covered, he casually asked me if he could see my face.

I was nervous for the video call. But he kept insisting for it. At last, I made up my mind, what's wrong in just showing my face in a video call? I convinced myself. And I said ok and uncovered my camera, I was actually all prepared with makeup ON for the call and was waiting for him to request me to turn my camera ON. But then he suddenly started talking to me in a dirty weird way and he undressed himself in front of the camera.

Seeing what was happening I was so shocked, laughing and asked him what he was doing? He said this and that and I don't even remember what he was saying but it was all funny for me. But I told him that I was not comfortable with it and wanted to hung up the call. After around 5 mins the call suddenly got dropped.

I tried texting him and there was no replies. I thought maybe he got busy with some other work and I decided to sleep. I locked my phone and kept it aside.

As I was about to sleep, my phone vibrated again. I jumped to see who it was and it was him again. I unlocked it to see his reply. But couldn't understand what he'd sent. Suddenly all recent messages in WhatsApp from his side was getting deleted. When I scrolled up, there was no messages from his end, everything was being deleted. He must've been deleting it earlier itself.

He'd send me screenshots of my family members and relatives from Facebook. My father, mother, brother and my cousins. He then send me a video recording of the video call that we had and the part were I was laughing and asking him what he was doing and telling him that I was not ok with it, and him undressing himself. That 30 most important seconds of my life.

The next screenshots that came by was the same video being sent to all my family members Facebook messenger chats. My father, mother, brother and my cousins and even my other relatives from Facebook. I literally couldn't understand what was happening. The last message that I remember clearly was as follows. "This video is going to be circulated in all WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook groups that we know. There is no way you can find who we are, what we do or why we do this. Thank you.". I just threw my phone away and ran to the bathroom.

I could listen to my phone ringing, and went to pick it up, it was my cousin who was ringing. I picked it up, and she asked me what the hell was it about the video! I was in a state of shock and hung up the call. My phone again rang, and the last thing I remember, when I was alive, is seeing my dad's name on my ringing phone...

- this is a real life incident made up into a story

Comments

  1. Nice writing man! Good flow.
    But more often than not these stories end with the victim succumbing to the blackmail and ending their life. I personally think we now need stories where they find the will and survive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts