Son… How are you?

“Love should not be to live in fear.”

I just got appointed as a lecturer in the Govt. Engineering College, Thrissur (GEC Thrissur). As much as I was nervous for my first day, I was equally excited to meet the young bunch.

As soon as I got off the bus, he was waiting there in his car. From the crowded bus, to the scorching sun and getting into the car, I just threw away my bag to the back seat and hugged him tight. We drove off.

He asked me how the date was? I said, the guy just wanted what guys usually want. Even though it all makes sense, being so open and stark about it just turns me off. Walking into the washroom I shouted to him that it was just a 4/10 experience. I could see him sitting there on the couch, swiping right, with a frown.

He asked me if I’m living with someone? I usually never share my personal stuff to strangers, but I was too emotional that day that I said to him all about my life and how being in an open relationship helps, mentally and physically.

I wondered why I was being called by the HOD. While I was entering the room, I heard my colleagues saying something about me being a bad influence to the students.

Sitting at my balcony, I told him, what was so wrong in being open about our lives? Why can’t people just accept the way we are? He knew I was broken, he just came to me, hugged me tight. That’s when my phone rang, I picked it up. It was my mom. I had dropped her a message to callback. It’s so comforting to hear her ask me what she asks all the time, as soon as she picks up the phone, “Son… How are you?”. I couldn’t say a word, I cried.

Comments

Popular Posts